ALMATY TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- Culture and Entertainment
- A Kasteev Art Museum
- Abay National Theatre and Opera House
- Almaty Zoo
Central Mosque Almaty : looks ancient, with its Turkish calligraphy, domes and minarets, but was only completed in 1999, accommodating up to 7000 worshippers.
Central State Museum
Green Bazaar : The Green Bazaar, or Zelionyj Bazaar, is a place you really should visit when visiting Almaty or Alma-Ata. This market is central to the every day life of the local people and it is so called the Green Bazaar.
Kazakh Museum of Folk Musical Instruments : For adults and children there is thematic excursion programs, master-classes on playing folk instruments and participation in theatrical performance and concert of the ethno-folk group â€œTuranâ€.
Kazakh State Circus : The Kazakh State Circus manages to combine the two skills in a stunning display. Clowns, trapeze artists, tumblers, the circus has it all!
Kok-Tobe : The hill the mast stands on is the highest point of the city of Almaty at 1100m and the mast itself is 350m tall.The viewpoint from Kok-tobe is well worth a visit with panoramic views of the city in all directions.
Monument of Independence : The Monument of Independence is located on Republic Square, one of Almatyâ€™s main squares.
St Nicholas Cathedral : St Nicholas Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox church with very traditional background of relics and icons. A very impressive structure with ornate gold domes, built in 1909.
Zenkov Cathedral : Zenkov Cathedral Is located in Panfilov Park and is probably the only wooden Cathedrals in the world
- Parks and National Parks
- Big Almaty Lake : located 28.5km south of Almaty up a gorge of the Bolshaya Almatinka River 2,511m above sea level. The lake is within the Alatau â€“ Eliy National park and both the Gorge and the lake are an attraction for visitors using Almaty as their base.The lake itself is about 1km wide and 1.6 km long, with a depth of about 40m.
- Charyn Canyon : located in the Charyn National Park about 215km east of Almaty. The Canyon has been described as the Grand Canyonâ€™s little brother.The Canyon itself is approximately 150 km long, and, in places up to 300m deep.
- First Presidentâ€™s Park : located in the southern part of Almaty and has a spectacular mountain backdrop. The park is the home of the annual music festival called Almaty - my first love.
- Gorky Park : Gorky Park is one of the most popular parks in Almaty and a good recreational space for both walking and, entertaining the children.
- Ile-Alatau National Park : The Park was opened in 1996 and is an area located on the northern slopes of Zailiysky Alatau (meaning raised mountains).
- Panfilov Park: Is located in central-east Almaty in the area surrounding Zenkov Cathedral. The park is dedicated and named after the Panfilov Heros. The memorial in the park is in memory of the 28 soldiers of an Almaty infantry unit who died fighting the Nazis outside Moscow.
Skiing and Ice Skating
- Medeo Ice Skating : The Medeo outdoor ice skating ring is designed as a huge speed skating and Bandy area. It is located on the eastern outskirts of Almaty at an altitude of 1,690m and has an area of 10.5 thousand square meters of ice. The altitude has made the ring the highest skating ring in the world.
- Shymbulak Ski Resort : located 25km outside Almaty city, in the Medeu Valley. There are 3 ski lifts at the resort with the highest going to 3200 m above sea level. There is also a 4 star Hotel located at the Resort, enabling those wishing to ski during the day, have a place to stay at night.